Fear of Salary Cuts and My views

1

Written on 11:23 AM by nitesh

Last weekend I was angry and full of frustration when i came to know about the news of salary cuts in my company. To prevent my self from acting impulsively I gave my self time to think to intrepret. I am still fearful as I don't know the % of cut I am hoping it be the least possible.


Here what I went through:

My first reaction was why now ........ the recession has not even touched the bottom .. till yesterday evening I was of this view then I thought about it you have to prepare yourself before the war , a company needs to have some cash surplus to avoid the bottom. 
If say bottom comes out in May-June which most of the economists etc are saying , if we take measures in June, we might not be at good position at that time. But if measures are taken now the company may survive. Now I am thinking as a businessman prespective not from engineer perspective, deflation is expected in US and India in may there will be credit crunch and time will become terrible in few months so every company has the right to take measures to survive. Even as a CEO I wouldn't like to fire people if other measures are possible. So the company is taking such measures. 

Initially I was thinking from the prespective of other companies like TCS and Infy as in they are not doing such drastic measures why we, but mine is a small company which doesn't have deep pockets like the big5. 

Some anonymous guy posted about the trips of management to US and sales hiring in my earlier post. Eventhough I have commented there but again mentioning here. 
A trip to US may cost some money but we have to try and pitch for projects and to take feedback from customers to improve. I have seen some managers have gone onsite and brought projects which brough huge revenues to the company. 
Sales people left in the past year and the company needed new guys , It was bad luck of the company that the incident happened before the trouble began and money is to be used to make a sales team. As a engineer I may think that why now hiring ,we should save cash now but as a businessman and CEO I want to make a team which will get us projects and when the recession is over or the troubled times is over the team can get us projects.

In short I would like to say that when we think from engineer perspective we will be angry but when we think from businessman we can link the points. 

The biggest irony of this time is that mistakes of few financial guys (IBankers and other bank guys) have brought the whole world to a standstill. To write the reasons for the crises I will write one long post.


I have realized one think in the past 2 years that I should keep my eyes and ears open for any idea so that if I like that idea I can start to work on that on my own. I want to come out of this rat race soon as this will happen everywhere and now and than.
I want to do something really passionately but I don't know now what and I don't know now what I am passionate about but as Steve Jobs said in his standford speech we need to keep looking that day will come.

Enough of philosophy save save save us may the cut is less.





If you enjoyed this post Subscribe to our feed


1 Comment

  1. Anonymous |

    As they say everyone has his own perspective of looking at things which you have explained beautifully.

    Incidentally there is a website called www.angstcorner.com specifically for recession victims.There are a lot of interesting blogs here.Worth a visit!

     

Post a Comment